• 3 years 31 weeks ago | MRE1957
    MRE1957's picture

are what made the FF worthy of the title, "The World's Greatest Comic Magazine" and made Marvel stand out even more from DC and all the rest. Who else but Jack and Stan would devote an entire story to showing the everyday side of their lives? And does anyone know if this is the very first mention of the Yancy Street Gang?

• 3 years 31 weeks ago | MRE1957
    MRE1957's picture

A classic page from the classic Marvel monster story. First read it as a reprint in Fantasy Masterpieces #2 and laughed until I almost cried. Fin Fang Foom?! An orange dragon wearing shorts?! Jeez, did the Comics Code make them add that so he wouldn't look naked? Truly wacky stuff!

Thanks Jack, Stan and Dick for an unforgettable (and hilarious) tale.

• 3 years 31 weeks ago | MRE1957
    MRE1957's picture

I always loved these early '60s books by Kirby and Ayers. Those two (along with Steve Ditko) established the Marvel art style that the old fuddy-duddies at DC thought raw and crude. While admittedly not as slick, the freshness and energy Kirby, Ayers and Ditko brought to my young eyes changed my comic buying habits forever. Thanks Dick (and Jack and Steve and Stan) for the countless hours of enjoyment you gave us.

• 3 years 32 weeks ago | MRE1957
    MRE1957's picture

How is this any different from back in WWII when the commanding officer (Patton, maybe?) would go down the line inspecting the troops, calling out every infraction? And ya gotta love the expression Kirby drew of Big Bear getting his nose tweaked by Darkseid in panel three! It was the insertion of this kind of dark humor that elevated the Forever People, New Gods and Mister Miracle above the rest of what I was reading back then.

• 3 years 32 weeks ago | John S.
    John S.'s picture

But Mike Royer didn't do the lettering on this one. It looks like Gaspar Saladino's work to me.

• 3 years 32 weeks ago | ofolayne
    ofolayne's picture

Yeah - it was shown in both # 3 and 5.
    But here was the BEST!!!

• 3 years 32 weeks ago | Lockjaw
    Lockjaw's picture

I'm pretty sure that they showed Orion's true face in an earlier issue. The deep six arc?

• 3 years 32 weeks ago | Lockjaw
    Lockjaw's picture

Probably just images that stuck in his head -----a guy in a fez, a burly guy with distinctive facial hair, an vaguely Asian bad guy.

I don't think they're saying those guys WERE the exiles--created in 1963 and brought back in 1968--but that Kirby created a group of stereotype 'foreign looking' bad guys and then later similar looking guys were created.

• 3 years 32 weeks ago | Mike T
    Mike T's picture

Not even close to the Exiles, IMO.

• 3 years 32 weeks ago | MRE1957
    MRE1957's picture

It's a shame because it looks like it didn't need to be. Plus, there is a fair amount of white out which is unusual for Giacoia. Still, all in all, a significant cover.

• 3 years 32 weeks ago | MRE1957
    MRE1957's picture

After being blown away by the the New Gods backstory, I wondered how Jack would follow it up. BOY, WAS I NOT DISAPPOINTED! An epic brother-vs-brother battle with Kalibak, culminating in the revelation of Orion's true face! It rounded out my Top 3 New Gods issues that started with #6 (The Glory Boat) then #7 (The Pact) and finally #8 (The Death Wish of Terrible Turpin").

• 3 years 32 weeks ago | Rand HOPPE
    Ok
    Rand HOPPE's picture

panel 6 (second to last) of page 10 (page 14 of the comic) of "The Stronghold of Doctor Strange!" from Marvel's Tales of Suspense 41, dated May 1963.

• 3 years 32 weeks ago | Lockjaw
    Lockjaw's picture

Here's one that is a little more reasonable...............

Maybe Kirby just had generic bad guys images in his head and those images popped back into his mind when thinking a group of underlings

• 3 years 32 weeks ago | Rand HOPPE
    Rand HOPPE's picture

...seems like over-enthusiastic "continuity archaeology".

panel 6 (second to last) of the last page of "The Stronghold of Doctor Strange!" from Marvel's Tales of Suspense 41, dated May 1963.

• 3 years 32 weeks ago | Pete Von Sholly (not verified)
    Anonymous's picture

I LOVE the drawing of the Red Skull. Who but Kirby could (or would even try) to get such ATTITUDE into a character. He clearly relished drawing this villain as cool and sophisticated. The pose, the cigarette holder, the Skull not even looking at Cap... he is confident and arrogant, Wonderful characterization. Jack brought so much to his work!

• 3 years 32 weeks ago | Lockjaw
    Lockjaw's picture

Wish I could post a screencap of those couple of panels---there is some similarity as I recall. At any rate, one of those Marvel indexes from the 80s/90s lists that IM issue as the first appearance for some of the "Exiles"

• 3 years 32 weeks ago | ofolayne
    ofolayne's picture

Hi Lockjaw

Can't say it seems to me that that rumor has much going for it.

I reckon it would have been simpler for Kirby to make up virtually generic new Nazis
    than scan an old Iron Man that he'd probably forgotten about for ideas. And as you said,
    any similarities I could find are pretty obscure.

And let's not forget, after this Cap issue, Jack still gave Marvel Annihilus, Maximus' glorious
    new suit, Mangog, and Pluto's new duds. And maybe more. He just couldn't help himself!

• 3 years 33 weeks ago | MRE1957
    MRE1957's picture

Thanks Tom. I can see how doing that would harden the surface and make it smoother. Too bad the ironing trick wasn't passed on to Berry from Royer.

And the fact that Mike thought creatively to solve this problem elevates him, to me, as one of the top embellishers of all time.

• 3 years 33 weeks ago | Mike T
    Mike T's picture

I'd say that he must have used a mechanical pen and cut through the paper on every line and edge he did. (But if anybody else has another explanation, I'm all ears.)

• 3 years 33 weeks ago | Tom Kraft

Jack bought his own bristol board at the time. DC did not provide it. Jack bought cheap quality paper that had a porous surface. When using a crow pen, the ink would spread and bleed.

Mike Royer used to iron the boards before inking in an attempt to minimize the problem.

• 3 years 33 weeks ago | Lockjaw
    Lockjaw's picture

This book was drawn after the point where Kirby pretty much stopped introducing new characters for Marvel.

I've heard it said that most of this motley crew appeared as a cameo in an early issue of Iron Man that Kirby drew---TOS 40, 41 or 43. It was said he figured that since he had already drawn them that they were already Marvel's property---so he kind of gave them something they thought was new---that actually was something they already had.

It's the last page of one of those 3 early Iron Man's he did, but I think you could go either way on if they are the same group or not. One sure does seem to be wearing Grunning's big cloak though.

• 3 years 33 weeks ago | MRE1957
    MRE1957's picture

Usually I'm not a big fan of D. Bruce Berry's inking but this is certainly one of his best pages. The blacks are spotted well and there is a good use of thicks and thins. However, when you zoom in, you will see the edge of every line (even the panel borders) isn't sharp and smooth. Would like to know what could account for that.

• 3 years 33 weeks ago | MRE1957
    MRE1957's picture

Only Kirby could come up this motley crew... Gruning!... Baldini!... General Ching!... Iron-Hand Hauptmann!... Krushki!... Cadavus... and, of course, they are all led by... The Red Skull!

Plus, all that excitement for only 12¢!

• 3 years 33 weeks ago | MRE1957
    MRE1957's picture

It's like I'm looking at a Golden Age Kirby CA splash page! Yahoo!

• 3 years 33 weeks ago | MRE1957
    MRE1957's picture

I believe this to be the earliest (and maybe only) S&K Captain America splash page in existence. I've seen an earlier page but it is not a splash. It is an interior story page from Captain America #5. Does anyone know the history of how this art survived? Who saved it? Was it given back to either Joe or Jack? (And isn't Howard Ferguson's lettering on the name 'FANG" just perfect?) So sad that so little Golden Age original art still exists, especially pre-WWII due to not knowing it's eventual value and all of the paper drives to support the war effort.