• 3 years 17 weeks ago | Tom Kraft

Yes to scanning them in archival quality. I image in some cases high quality comics could be available but at cons the owners would not want you to touch the copies and possibly lower the grade so it would most likely be from less quality books, digitally restored.

• 3 years 17 weeks ago | Krackles

I know you already planned to add scans of printed pages and covers but I was wondering if you intended to scan them with archival quality? I suppose it would be possible to borrow great conditions comics for scanning during conventions?

Of course, the stupid CGC boxes may become a problem.

• 3 years 17 weeks ago | Tom Kraft

We have talked about doing just that. The way the site is architected it can have an unlimited number of media types associated with a page in a book. First, we must get all the original art and photocopies posted then we can expand.

• 3 years 17 weeks ago | Krackles

Actually, I don't know if this qualify for a restoration since I mostly cleaned up a decent scan I found online but it got me thinking… Wouldn't it be cool to scan covers for the Kirby Digital Archives, the way you do it for original art?

Great condition for covers (Mint or NM), scanned with archival quality, would make up for some great additions in the Kirby Museum!

Mebbe even interior pages!

Starting with great copies it would require minimal clean up and we could tweak these printed beauties into deadly gorgeous pieces of work!

• 3 years 17 weeks ago | Tom Kraft

Really a beautiful cover, well restored by you! Thanks for sharing.

• 3 years 17 weeks ago | Krackles

Fantastic Four #74 cover.
    High Res cleaned up scan for you to enjoy!

• 3 years 17 weeks ago | Frank Fosco

When you say lack of his right cheek, the light source is going from left (Galactus' right) to right creating a shadow on Galactus' left side and left cheek. Just an observation.

• 3 years 17 weeks ago | Frank Fosco

Yeah--when I said splash page I probably should have said 1 page picture instead. Page 15--yes.

My opinion wasn't in an effort to make you change your mind about Vinnie's work--I just posed the one I liked better when it came to a Galactus head shot on a 1 page picture.

Yes--FF cover 74 is up there as one of the best FF covers--agreed.

Say--now that we've made comparisons of 1 page pictures of Galactus head shots...how about the 1 page pictures of Galactus, Colletta from Thor 134 page 3 vs Sinnott from FF 75 page 4? Both great pieces.

• 3 years 17 weeks ago | Mike T
    Mike T's picture

Oh, that helps!

Okay, IMHO, it's Galctus' right cheek (or lack thereof) that detracts. The coloring isn't as good either (though coloring typically isn't given consideration in such appraisals).

• 3 years 17 weeks ago | Mike T
    Mike T's picture

Art is in the eye of the beholder, obviously! I assume you refer to page 15 (Galactus is not on page 1). To my eye, this head shot (Thor 160 p. 13) is several times more pleasing than that one, however, the difference is attributable in part to the pencils, naturally!

However, your mention of ish #74 causes me to consider modifying my earlier statement, because the cover of this issue is at the very pinnacle of my favorite covers of all time (all by Kirby, of course). Simply yet superbly conceived, beautifully drawn and masterfully inked, inspirationally colored with loving care, it just doesn't get any better! Kirby squiggles and crackles (as seen through Joltin' Joe's eyes and #4 brush) never came together any better than they did on this. I especially love how Galactus' feet are translucent, adding an almost godlike, omnipresent suggestion to the composition.

Okay, so here's my mod for Thor 160 p. 13: "Best Galactus ever on an interior page!" I believe that covers it. I am of course referring to the combined artwork, not specifically to either pencils or inks. Others may come close, but I don't think this Kirby/Colletta masterpiece has any equal in the (modified) category. (But then again, my memory ain't what it used to be!)

And now there's only one thing left to say: "JACK-SELSIOR!"

• 3 years 17 weeks ago | Frank Fosco

Mike T, did you try highlighting it, copy and paste into a new window?

• 3 years 17 weeks ago | Mike T
    Mike T's picture

the link does not work from my PC.

• 3 years 17 weeks ago | Frank Fosco

...joltin' Joe is still the man!

Thanks, Krackles.

• 3 years 17 weeks ago | Krackles
  • 3 years 17 weeks ago | Frank Fosco

Have you seen the head shot splash page of Galactus in Fantastic Four 74? Inked by Joe Sinnott. Wish there were a scan of that in the gallery--it's stunning. As nice as this piece by Vinnie is, I like the one from FF 74 better.

• 3 years 18 weeks ago | Krackles

… Hilarious!

• 3 years 18 weeks ago | Mike T
    Mike T's picture

Very solid inking here! Reminds me of Stone with the HEAVY line weights around Thor and his cape. Vinnie's work looked so much better once he started brushing in the outlines.

• 3 years 18 weeks ago | Mike T
    Mike T's picture

Not even Joe Sinnott, who in my mind was the greatest inker who ever lived (surpassing even Wood), turned in such a fine rendition of the planet-eater.

• 3 years 18 weeks ago | Mike T
    Mike T's picture

Tom, what have you done with these legendary Fosco inks? Tom? Kirbydom awaits.

This totally give me an idea for WIK, and maybe/probably this has already been discussed/considered, but here goes anyway:

How about some fan art pages on this site? It could be divided into 2 subcategories, one where fans are inking Kirby pencils, and the other where the pencils are by the fans but pay homage to the King. Although I dunno, maybe the ensuing inundation of digital Kirby progeny would be much more than Tom ever bargained for, and this in fact is another of my not-so-great comments. (Sorry if I'm out of line)

• 3 years 18 weeks ago | Mike T
    Mike T's picture

I'm thinking that the way you count, there's only one finger (and it's not the index finger).

I'm also thinking what great fun it will be to post some more of my not-so-great comments on the Crapletta pages. However, dear Krackles, if I'm to be true to myself as a not so great commentator, the content of those comments would be of such that you would tend to comment rather than commend. And now that we're under the threat of the gallery going away, I'd better find the time to get to that ASAP. OH BOY! THIS IS GONNA BE GREAT!

• 3 years 18 weeks ago | Krackles

No worry T, there aren't that many not so great comments on this website.
    How could it be otherwise when you could barely count the Crapletta lovers up to the number of fingers on my hand?

• 3 years 18 weeks ago | Frank Fosco

Thanks for the kind words, Mike T.

I do still have these original pieces and they are available for purchase. Just sayin'.

There are also 2 more Kirby pieces I did from his pencils that haven't been seen yet but Tom does have scans of them.

• 3 years 18 weeks ago | Mike T
    Mike T's picture

Ok, so maybe some of my comments were in fact not so great, but please don't take away the WIK gallery! I haven't even gone through it yet, only a small fraction so far. Plus, can you imagine the guilt and shame if I have to live out the rest of my days with the knowledge that I brought this travesty upon all of Kirbydom? I'd be so ashamed that I wouldn't ever be able to look at myself in the mirror again.

Oops--there I go again with the not so great comments...

So sorry!

(Will I ever learn?)

• 3 years 18 weeks ago | Mike T
    Mike T's picture

Hey, that is some really great coloring too! It brings the art to life rather than obliterating it. Yes, period-correct style coloring. All in all a VERY nice treat--THANKS!

• 3 years 18 weeks ago | Mike T
    Mike T's picture

This might be the best rendition of the thing since Kirby/Sinnott. THANKS!!!