• 6 years 49 weeks ago | MilkManX
    MilkManX's picture

I love Fighting American! Kirby and Simon were on a roll with this!

• 6 years 49 weeks ago | MilkManX
    MilkManX's picture

Man. This was really the last great stuff the King was doing! I love this idea and wish a reprint would come soon!

• 6 years 49 weeks ago | Ferran Delgado
    Ferran Delgado's picture

Another pinup by the great combo Kirby/Stone! Wow! And I never saw this one before!

Again, the overal look is terrific, but if you enlarge the image, you can be seen some parts of the inking that could be improved. Again, it looks a rushed job to me. Maybe Chic had to finish these pinups in record time, but anyway, they look beautiful.

BTW, my bet is that lettering was done by Artie Simek, not Sam Rosen.

• 6 years 49 weeks ago | Ferran Delgado
    Ferran Delgado's picture

I think that Stone is one of my favourite embellishers to work with Kirby, but I feel that this piece is a slightly rushed job. The overall look is great as usual, but there are some strokes that has not the usual quality in Stone. In fact, he had to correct some of them in the face.

Anyway, it's a historical piece and we're very lucky to be able to enjoy the details thanks to the incredible quality of the scan and the possibility to zoom it.

• 6 years 49 weeks ago | Ferran Delgado
    Ferran Delgado's picture

If you enlarge the second panel at maximum, you can see different intensity in the ink of the strokes of the beard of the guy at the right, and the lines of the outline, which are too regular for a brush and the ends of the lines are too rounded. The same happens with the hair of the guy at the left.

My bet is that Mike used a pen or marker in the outlines, and brush for some strokes and filling holes. You can see sometimes that the darker ink of the outlines sometimes bleed, while the ink in the hair or beard is perfect.

• 6 years 49 weeks ago | spacekraft

Mike usually did a combination of brush and pen. The ratio varied. He once mentioned to me that sometimes he would have the "muse" with a brush and other times with a pen. This art looks like mostly pen to me.

Another possibility for the impressions on the back is it could be from Jack penciling. His drafting board had layers of graphite on it.

• 6 years 49 weeks ago | Ferran Delgado
    Ferran Delgado's picture

This is a comparation side-to-side between Syd's work and Kirby's pencils:

It can be seen how Syd went beyond duty when he inked Jack. A pity that reproduction and printing of that age were not ready for these ultrathin lines... Another reason to thank Tom for providing these gigantic scans...

• 6 years 49 weeks ago | Ferran Delgado
    Ferran Delgado's picture

It allows comparation with Mike's work, so we can see how faithfully he was with Jack's pencils...

• 6 years 49 weeks ago | Ferran Delgado
    Ferran Delgado's picture

This is curious, because in order to get these impressions you'd need to apply pressure when inking. So this might suggest that Mike worked partially with pen because I don't think that you could get that pressure from brush strokes. Go figure, I had the feeling that he inked 100% with brush! This allows you to learn something about his working method...

You can also find these impressions in WMT #2 page 5.

• 6 years 49 weeks ago | spacekraft

Updated the original inker to Don Heck as per Mark Evanier.

• 6 years 49 weeks ago | spacekraft

Thank you Mark. The note is updated for this page.

• 6 years 49 weeks ago | evanier
    evanier's picture

I wrote the dialogue for this story but I wrote it on other paper. That's not my handwriting in pencil. I think that was pencilled in by someone in New York to prep the page for letterer Ben Oda.

• 6 years 49 weeks ago | evanier
    evanier's picture

The original inker was Don Heck.

• 6 years 49 weeks ago | spacekraft

I believe what you see is the impressions from Royer inking the page. The image is the reverse of what is on the front of the page.

Sometimes if the drafting board Mike is working on has graphite or dirt it transfers to the back of the bristol board and you get these impressions. I've seen it on many of the pages from the 70's where the bristol board was lighter in weight and more likely to get these impressions.

Interesting though.

• 6 years 49 weeks ago | Ferran Delgado
    Ferran Delgado's picture

Since the drawing can be seen slightly in the back of the page, I think that we could assume that it was lightboxed. It'd be very interesting to compare Royer's inks vs. Kirby's pencils...

• 6 years 49 weeks ago | Ferran Delgado
    Ferran Delgado's picture

This one brings also lots of memories from when I read these stories in my teens here, in Spain, in an awful edition.

Thanks for allowing us to discover the real Shrores' inking, because it was awfully reproduced in reprints...

• 6 years 49 weeks ago | Ferran Delgado
    Ferran Delgado's picture

Very nice sample of an unique collaboration between two geniouses!

We're lucky to enjoy a scan so good and with so much resolution as this one. This allow us to discover the corrections in the face of the guy in panel 1 and in the face of Sky Masters in panel 3, and enjoy the craft of Wally Wood, a master of the mood and lighting.

• 6 years 49 weeks ago | HannibalCat
    HannibalCat's picture

The British black and white reprint of this story was the first time I was ever introduced to Captain America - I remember it and the giant combined robot of Der Tag very clearly.

• 6 years 50 weeks ago | Ferran Delgado
    Ferran Delgado's picture

It's a historical page that I never saw before, wow!

The brainstorming of the design of the symbol shown at the back of the page it's a great find. But it's curious that it was done at page 16, when the uniform was shown for first time in page 7.

Another curiousity is that the design shown at the back of the original has the extrusion or shadow towards the bottom right, while in the whole comic it's shown at the opposite with only an exception, in page 19 panel 2.