• 2 years 6 weeks ago | Krackles

Meanwhile… Tom and Randy are sleeping on the job?

For the sake of Giacoia, wake up you lazy procrastinators!

• 2 years 7 weeks ago | John S.
    John S.'s picture

…and it wasn't meant to be hung on a wall. It was meant to be the Contents Page of a magazine. I'm still a bit surprised by Carmine Infantino's decision not to publish this magazine, based on moral objections, and I really have to wonder if he even read the stories it contained. While it's true that divorce was a controversial topic at the time (and still is to some degree), I think Kirby's handling of the subject matter was exceptionally objective and mature in these stories and deserved to be seen.

• 2 years 8 weeks ago | John S.
    John S.'s picture

Merci mon ami!

• 2 years 8 weeks ago | Krackles

I agree with Jostlin' John, that's Frank Fearless brushwork.
    Good catch!

• 2 years 8 weeks ago | John S.
    John S.'s picture

…the cover date was clearly September 1976, not July, as listed in the sidebar. Also, this cover was inked by Frank Giacoia, not Johnny Verpoorten. Just sayin'.

• 2 years 35 weeks ago | Krackles

Are you kidding us, Lee working for free?
    He was too busy grabbing money out of his artist's plots and story developments.

• 2 years 35 weeks ago | Krackles

Waittaminit, did you really believe borrowing one of my favorite lines would go unnoticed?
    Don't try again to steal the old chicken-scratching routine from the rightfully entitled Scratchletta!

• 2 years 35 weeks ago | Krackles

LOVABLE LAYOUT, DYNAMIC DRAWING, INEPT INKING!

Now, I win this argument thanks to my masterful alliteration usage combined with SOME SKILLFUL ALL CAPS TYPING.

• 2 years 39 weeks ago | Mike T
    Mike T's picture

What if it was Stan himself who put the chain mail on the foreground guy's chest? I'm thinking that no professional artist could have actually done it, so who does that leave us with? As Art Director, if he wanted chain mail, Stan coulda done it to spare having to route the page to the bullpen for a touch-up.

• 2 years 39 weeks ago | Mike T
    Mike T's picture

We kind of get spoiled by Jack's consistent greatness, but what a feast for sore eyes this splash is! I've always admired Colletta's fine linework and thought it added a vintage, old world feel to Thor/JIM/TOA. I especially like the treatment here of the guy in the foreground, except his chain mail sucks. Odin's boots aren't that great either.

It's too bad artists and inkers weren't paid a decent wage in those days. You can tell that at some point Vinnie's clock ran out on this page, and he just roughed in what he didn't have finished, or declined to go back and polish up spots that he otherwise might have.

Whenever I look at these pages, and even as a kid, I'd admire the high points of the art and let the lesser aspects slide. These books were selling for 12 cents, and the economics were eons away from today's world of $4 comics and billion dollar blockbuster superhero movies of Jack's creations. Every artist--including Jack--turned in some mediocre art because the page rate at Marvel didn't support consistent excellence. It's too bad Bill Gaines wasn't publisher, because he paid fairly and got the best from his artists all the time. Of course, the net result in that scenario of higher quality would have been fewer pages from each artist, so Marvel's way of doing it had its advantages too.

• 2 years 39 weeks ago | Mike T
    Mike T's picture

Nobody could ink the Gargoyle like Stone could. Then again, nobody had so many chances at it either. Still, you have to admit that he totally looks like he's carved out of granite or some other kind of, er, Stone.

• 2 years 40 weeks ago | Erik Larsen
    Erik Larsen's picture

To me--this is overkill. This is just ugly. Shores's line is unconfident and he overcompensates by bathing the page with more chicken-sctratching. Zooming in on panel two is a nightmare.

• 2 years 40 weeks ago | Erik Larsen
    Erik Larsen's picture

Oh, wait--this guy used all caps. He said it louder so he wins this argument.

• 2 years 52 weeks ago | John S.
    John S.'s picture

Without a doubt, the work of Jack Kirby was -- and still is -- the ULTIMATE trip through the realm of human imagination…!

• 3 years 1 week ago | John S.
    John S.'s picture

The Alan Hunter character featured in this story arc (and shown in panels seven and eight of the above page) is another example of Jack patterning his fictional characters on real people, as he appears to have been based on Israeli mentalist Uri Geller, who was a popular performer at the time.

• 3 years 2 weeks ago | John S.
    John S.'s picture

"To corner a demon is to imprison the whirlwind!" Well, there's certainly no imprisoning the whirlwind of Kirby's sensational storytelling on this great action page! And it's undoubtedly that same blistering pace which kept me from noticing one strange thing about this scene until just now. If Etrigan is a demon who was literally born in the fiery pits of Hell and can unleash torrents of blazing demon-flame upon his unfortunate adversaries, why would he be even slightly perturbed by Ugly Meg's "pyro-spells"? Wouldn't he just blast them right back at her with even greater fury? Of course he would! But maybe in the heat of battle he forgot he could do that -- just like I did every time I read this comic! Ah well, chalk up another one for the King's amazing ability to lead us any way he wants over the course of a story!

• 3 years 8 weeks ago | patrick ford
    patrick ford's picture

I've noticed recently that the published lettering on this book is not by Berry. That is even the case where Kirby's dialogue has not been changed.

• 3 years 11 weeks ago | Tom Kraft

Yes it is great news. There was talk that if there was a good possibility of going to the Supreme Court there would be some type of settlement. There was to much at risk for Disney and they made BILLIONS of dollars off Kirby's creative genius.

I hope soon we'll get more detail on the settlement. I'm sure there will be greater recognition of Jack's name on past and future movies and marketing materials. I hope also the family will benefit from this long drawn out legal battle financially.

• 3 years 11 weeks ago | Mike T
    Mike T's picture

Thanks for the post, Krackles!!!

I'm so happy to have read that article, except for where the writer referred to Jack as "one of the kings of comics." Instead, the writer should have noted that nobody produced as many pages, created as many characters, or inspired as many readers as Jack Kirby did.

This does seem to be good news for the Kirbys--it must be. Finally, after all these years, some measure of recompense was coughed up by the Scrooges at Marvel (although its not really Marvel anymore, it's Disney). I imagine all fans must feel degree of satisfaction as well. But if the Supreme Court had taken the case and ruled in favor of the plaintiffs, I would have very much enjoyed that, as well as what was sure to follow. (of course there's no guarantee this would have taken place)

• 3 years 11 weeks ago | Krackles

I'm already hot on scanning many of these covers and will post a list as soon as I'm starting to work on the restoration process.

• 3 years 15 weeks ago | Krackles

… the Sheet and Spread the Word, you punk!
    I already started scanning some Silver Age Kirby covers before they began to brittle and crumble to dust!
    Although I can use the Index to find the covers already available on Wik, the list won't necessarily match the high grades in my Kirby comics collection.

• 3 years 17 weeks ago | Tom Kraft

Yes we have a spreadsheet of every page scanned for the archive. I can post the covers in the forum.

Our first objective before adding printed materials to the site is to get the thousands of original art and photocopies up. After that we can go back and add the other media types etc.

• 3 years 17 weeks ago | Frank Fosco

That's only the second appearance of Galactus after the FF Galactus trilogy, Mike T. Even the colors on Galactus in that trilogy were little to be desired. Seems they were still fishing for a color scheme. Pink and orange in that issue of Thor was quite odd.

• 3 years 17 weeks ago | Mike T
    Mike T's picture

Frank, Here are my humble verdicts:

FF 75 p. 4 is quite simply a masterpiece.

Thor 134 p. 3, is great too, but only if you can overlook the coloring. Great penciling from Jack, decent inking by Vinnie, but the coloring... (cringe) Galactus is all pink and stuff! Very unbecoming. It doesn't appear to be a printing error, so I suspect that all (original $0.12) issues suffer from the same coloring that mine does.

• 3 years 17 weeks ago | Krackles

Tom, do you already have a list of original art for the covers?
    I'm pretty sure you have most of these comics but it could help if we split the work and started to check which comics are available for scanning in NM or better condition. We could share a list among the possible contributors?

Lost track of individual grades in my comics collection but I'm pretty sure I have most of Kirby's 70s output for Marvel in VF/NM to NM condition.

- Many 70s DC in VF to NM
    - Some of 60s Marvel in F/VF to VF/NM.